Friday, April 12, 2019

Helping Each Other Get Fit! - #80

Creating this post I remembered Sara Jisho, Zen priest who led a recent half-day meditation retreat I was privileged to attend, telling us:  "I choose the subjects of my Dharma talks because they are what I need to learn." 

I keep reading and writing posts about The Aware Athlete for the same reason: I need to be aware of my body and how I move.

Author Scott Forrester suggests that setting goals and then pushing as hard as we can to reach them is not the most efficient way to approach improving our fitness level. 

Instead of telling you what he suggests does work, I'm going to ask you - what on earth is he talking about? Isn't that the way we were taught to get fit -  set a goal and push yourself until you make it? Does this make sense to you? What other ways are there? How do you get fit? Please reply to this email or go to comments section.

CLUE: Buy or pick a flower. Put it where you can see it. Enjoy the beauty!

Thanks for exploring the mystery - Nicky Mendenhall

Image: I love these heart shaped leaves. Picture from last year.


4 comments:

  1. I am in the process of getting fit--again. I used to be in pretty good physical shape but for some reason (I can't even remember) I stopped working out. I think the "no pain, no gain" mantra is overrated. Now, I am being kinder to myself. While I push myself to get on the treadmill--even when I'd rather not--I am much more slowly building up my speed and my stamina. I am getting there--maybe not as quickly--but I'm not in a race!




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Diane. I like how you say I am in the process of getting fit - aren't we all? It is a never ending process and we may be at different places in the process, especially as we become involved in graduate level work as you are.

      Congratulations for getting on the treadmill and for being kinder to yourself!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Nicky, I don't like to sweat so when I found out about Tai Chi, I decided to try it. The teachers say to do 80% so you have 20% left. The American way of 110% sounds rather depleting, doesn't it? I switched to yoga and walking. I thought with yoga at least I would always have a way to get off the floor. Plus it uses more of the body for weight bearing to keep the bones strong. My teachers always say to keep back a little energy so we can get out of a pose gracefully. Flexibility, strength and grace - seems like a healthy combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you fluteyogi SO much for your comment! I am inspired. Yes, 110% sounds exhausting - that's because it is!

      It is so important to be able to get off the floor!

      My best to you in all your endeavors! Thanks for reading and again, thanks for the wonderful comment!

      Delete

Please leave your comment - I appreciate hearing from you!
To leave a comment, click on the word comments at the end of the post when you are on the web page. A new screen will pop up and you will see a box to leave your comment. I know it is confusing but I SO love your comments. If this is too much trouble (and I get that), just reply to the email you receive with the post if you are a subscriber. I will paste in your reply and respond to it. Thank you - I learn from how you respond.