Friday, June 29, 2018

The Beauty Of Being Uncomfortable - #42

My first trip to India was in 1994. I wondered why the tour leaders were slightly apologetic when they told me who my roommate was. Her name sounded innocent enough: Mona. It wasn't long before I discovered the reason for their hesitation.

Mona was a talker.  


I wanted quiet because in India I often found myself in a state of overarousal. The noise, colors, and crowds pressed in on me. India didn't seem to bother Mona. 

Mona knew how to shop. While I was determined not to make the trip about shopping, my greed grew stronger each time she brought her treasures to our room.  

One day, Mona returned from a shopping expedition and displayed the most beautiful silver ring. It was like nothing you could find in the States. There was an exotic Buddhist symbol signifying long life and happiness. It was unique. It was beautiful.  It fit me. It should have been mine. I felt out of control with desire. I wanted it!

The next day was my 49th birthday. At the party, most everyone gave me a gift. Mona gave me the ring. I was gobsmacked! Her generosity was beyond my comprehension. I didn't even like her and she gifted me with something she knew I desperately wanted. 

I have worn it  every day, barring three days it was being overhauled at the jewelers. That's 24 years of daily wear.

This ring is part of my past - something behind me. But it is also here with me in the present. The ring reminds me of what I've been learning recently: good things come from uncomfortable circumstances. 

Thanks for exploring the mystery - Nicky Mendenhall

Clue for week: Pay attention to the next time you are uncomfortable and see if staying with it for a few minutes yields something positive. Or, option two, be more generous than you would usually be. For example tip twice as much as you would usually tip. Let me know the results of being uncomfortable and extra generous. You can do one or both for extra credit!

Image: Those of you who were around in 2014, may remember this photo from the Water exhibit by Burtynsky. Used by permission.




 

3 comments:

  1. I loved your Mona story--and your clues for the week! Sometimes sitting with uncomfortable situations can feel like great generosity (so we can think of this as feeding two birds with one scone--found that one online--so much kinder than the other expression). I would love it if you would post a picture of the ring !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - Sitting with uncomfortable feelings most certainly is an act of great generosity! I am so tickled with that! How wise you are to make that connection. And feeding two birds with one scone makes me really happy!

      I'll see what I can do about a picture - thanks for asking.

      I miss you already in our group that ends officially today. So glad to have met you. Hope we can stay in touch. Be certain you give me the address for your blog when it goes live!

      Delete
    2. Miss you already too, Nicky! Please keep me posted on your literary endeavors. I will do the same. Love the direction your blog is going! We'll speak soon!

      Delete

Please leave your comment - I appreciate hearing from you!
To leave a comment, click on the word comments at the end of the post when you are on the web page. A new screen will pop up and you will see a box to leave your comment. I know it is confusing but I SO love your comments. If this is too much trouble (and I get that), just reply to the email you receive with the post if you are a subscriber. I will paste in your reply and respond to it. Thank you - I learn from how you respond.