Friday, June 8, 2018

Can You Trust What Is In Back of You? - #39

What have we learned from studying what is in back of us? 

That we need someone to be behind us and that coaches often fill this role. A crucial part of a relationship of this type is trust.

This week, I want to explain how my osteopath, who practices osteopathic manual medicine, is behind me both in literal and nonliteral ways. 

There are often students following him when he sees me for treatment. I can sense that he is a trusted mentor for them. After my surgery, he told me that one of the students was responsible for my diagnosis; the student remembered the mnemonic for Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus.  

As their teacher, he listened to students. He also gave the student credit. Careful listening is part of building trust.

The Dr. listens to me when I tell him what feels out of alignment in my body.  

Osteopathic Manual Medicine is a hands-on treatment.This means  the Doctor needs to touch the patient and be in close proximity to their body. He asks me everytime he touches me, "Is it okay if I touch your ischial tuberosity?"*  

After several years of being treated by him, I feel very safe and sometimes it feels annoying when he asks permission every time he touches me. However, when I read about coaches who have taken advantage of athletes or doctors who have engaged in inappropriate touching with patients, I realize how important it is that he keeps asking. It is part of what makes me know I can trust him.

Looking someone in the eyes is said to be a way we can know if we can trust them. When we are talking about someone being behind us, we have to use other ways of knowing.  

Do you feel your Doctor is behind you? If so, how? If not, why not? Is it easy for you to trust someone who is behind you, someone who has your back? Why or why not? I'd love to hear of your experiences. Please reply to this email or to to comments.

Your clue for this week: Tell yourself that you can trust yourself to do what you say you are going to do. Then do it. Small things matter. Let me know what you encounter!

Thank you for exploring the mystery - Nicky Mendenhall

* He actually says Sitz bones but when I Googled sitz bones, thia is what I learned and I decided to share it with you.

The image is of a fabulous spiderweb that my husband found a year of so ago. Look closely and you can see how wonderfully made it is!









7 comments:

  1. I think my doctor is beside me; he is supportive, but he also lets me share opinions.

    When I see a spider web, I always think about pictures in a science magazine of webs done by spiders on tobacco, marijuana, cocaine, and coffee. The most screwed up looking ones were the result of caffeine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki - I really like hearing that your doctor is beside you. And that he listens to your opinions. Sounds as if you are in good hands.

      Interesting info about spider webs. Makes me glad that I don't drink much caffeine. Wouldn't that be an interesting study to conduct? How do you get a spider to smoke marijuana?

      Thanks so much for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had several serious medical "issues" over the years, and I have been blessed with doctors who have not only been terrific practitioners but caring, sensitive individuals as well. Having people you trust when you are in a vulnerable situation is truly a gift. P.S. LOVE the spider and web!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - don't know how I missed replying to you! I love your point about our vulnerability when ill. So true. We aren't always thinking clearly which I think is part of the vulnerability.

      I'm glad you said "had" serious medical issues which says to me that you are in good health now!

      Thanks so much for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  4. Doctors are the 'need to' people in our lives. We don't think about them until we need them badly. I'm so glad you have a trustworthy doctor. Health becomes everything when ours is out of alignment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greta - I love doctors being the "need to" people. When we need to see them, we need to!

      I also like your statement that health becomes everything when ours is out of alignment! That is SO true! I think of a story I heard about a speaker asking people to think of not having a toothache. When we have a toothache, it is all we can think about!

      Thank you for reading and commenting. Your insights so appreciated.

      Delete

Please leave your comment - I appreciate hearing from you!
To leave a comment, click on the word comments at the end of the post when you are on the web page. A new screen will pop up and you will see a box to leave your comment. I know it is confusing but I SO love your comments. If this is too much trouble (and I get that), just reply to the email you receive with the post if you are a subscriber. I will paste in your reply and respond to it. Thank you - I learn from how you respond.