Friday, June 15, 2018

Gently Appreciating Our Support - #40


Many of you let me know, when I see you in person, that you have read and enjoyed this blog. I can't tell you how delightful it feels to hear that. Sometimes it terrifies me to know someone is actually reading what I write. My new calling as a writer generates various feelings and is very challenging!

In light of our exploration of the premise that what is behind or in back of us is as important as what is in front, it occurs to me that more awareness of you behind me would be healthy to cultivate. You are out there even when I don't hear from you.  

When one of you does hit reply or is savvy enough to figure out how the comment section works, I will celebrate. Comments will be frosting on the cake! And that's no small thing as it brings back fond memories. As a girl, when my mother decorated cakes, she would squirt frosting from the decorating tube directly into our mouths as a treat!

CLUE for the week: Take a moment to determine what is behind you that you can use as support. It could be an inanimate object like a comfortable chair. Or you may recall a person that you feel connected to even though the contact with them is not frequent. Whatever you choose, place a feeling of gratitude and gentleness around it. Celebrate what is behind you!

Please let me know what supports you - back of front!

Thanks for exploring the mystery with me - Nicky Mendenhall

Image is of clouds. I love watching clouds and receiving images.



 

14 comments:

  1. I look forward to your blog on Saturday. I admire the way you share your feelings and how you bring up fond childhood memories. I would say that you are in back of me and it makes me comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH Nolan - when you say you look forward to my blog on Saturday it makes me SO happy! How grateful I am for your support!

      It has taken quite a few years to learn how to connect with my feelings, a fact that will become painfully obvious once my memoir on my experience in psychoanalysis is finished! Do you know any publishers?

      Lots of love to you!

      Delete
  2. Nicky, your post demonstrates the need for each of us to demonstrate our gratitude. In this world with instant clicks, we often forget (or don't bother) to acknowledge those who have given us inspiration or have taught us something new. A little acknowledgment goes a long way in letting others know that they have support behind them. In this comment I am acknowledging you--and hope you know that you have me behind you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane - I have felt you behind me for quite some time. You are very supportive of my creative work. Thank you!

      It is totally amazing how much a little acknowledgment can mean to someone. I remember words that were spoken years ago that really helped me feel more confident. The main one that I think of right now is when a former supervisor told me that he had been unfair to me. Even though this was years after the incident, it still was really helpful.

      Thanks for reading and for such a great message!

      Delete
  3. I hear the expression "I've got your back" a lot these days. It means I'm standing behind you and supporting and protecting you. So I guess a number of friends and family are behind me, and that feels comforting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are feeling comforted - you have comforted so many people, me included. I remember when I was going through the divorce and didn't have a place to live for a few days and you gave me access to your spare bedroom! I'll never forget that.

      Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  4. I am glad to be one of many visitants on this great web site (:
    , regards for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You support me, Nicky. I'm sending you feelings of gratitude. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan - I appreciate you reading and commenting. I feel your support!

      Delete
  6. Nicky, you are my Wise Woman. I miss seeing you, but I use what I learned from you every day. I have friends that I don't even need to call, just thinking of them comforts and strengthens me.
    MJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you MJ - thanks for the kind words. Warms my heart to hear that our work is still useful to you. Thank you for letting me know.

      And thank you for reading! I remember how I enjoyed your blog at the library. Maybe you need to publish some of your ideas. I would read them!

      Delete
  7. My support that is in front of me or behind me , is my conscience- Pretty much- That’s it in a word. Granted I have family and friends,but your conscience is always there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebecca - what a great contribution to our discussion!

      I don't know if everyone could say that their conscience is always available but I'm pretty certain it would be for you!

      Thanks for reading and commenting. Much appreciated!

      Delete

Please leave your comment - I appreciate hearing from you!
To leave a comment, click on the word comments at the end of the post when you are on the web page. A new screen will pop up and you will see a box to leave your comment. I know it is confusing but I SO love your comments. If this is too much trouble (and I get that), just reply to the email you receive with the post if you are a subscriber. I will paste in your reply and respond to it. Thank you - I learn from how you respond.