Friday, June 14, 2019

Repeat After Me - #89


"Every day in every way I am getting better and better."

Have you heard similar sayings in the past? I have. Frankly, I used to turn up my nose at words like this. But when Scott Forrester, in The Aware Athlete, describes the use of "auto suggestion," with phrases like this, I am tempted to give it a try. 

He says if you give voice to this phrase at dawn's early light and then again at the dimming of the sun in a focused, relaxed, accepting manner, you will be moving toward the elimination of conflicting thoughts that interfere with releasing your potential. (My paraphrase of page 236)

The psychoanalytical literature in which I've been swimming is convoluted in ways that match my paraphrase. I believe I've been infected. Let me assure you that Scott has not. If you can't understand my language, please buy his book. You won't be sorry.

Similar to this idea of focusing on the possible, I've been trying to celebrate progress when it happens. On Wednesday I attended a Tai Chi Balance class, an Active Adults class, and went for a short walk all without pain. I'm celebrating because six months ago, I wouldn't  have had been able to do this! Thursday I went for a two mile walk! Friday morning I have a very tight hamstring but I can stretch that! 

How do you calm your conflicting thoughts and unleash your potential? What do you need to celebrate? I'd love to know!

CLUE: Pick a book you haven't looked in for awhile. Open it randomly and see what you learn. I love doing this!

Thanks for exploring the mystery - Nicky Mendenhall

Image: After not seeing crows for several weeks, I've noticed two huge black crows in our backyard. They are so loud that I couldn't miss them. Crows always remind me of my New Zealand friend Jo, who loved crows. I wish she could return like the crows.










4 comments:

  1. Scott Forrester

    to me

    Nicola, thanks again for your great support of The Aware Athlete. It is so great to hear about your movement progress without pain that is always something to rejoice in, more movement more involvement, more enjoyment without pain. I like the idea of opening a book that you haven't read for a while. I used to read books only for new ideas. There are no new ideas really but there are new perspectives and new appreciation for how the author has been able to speak clearly or comprehensively, to bring new life to an idea, to make it relevant to where we are today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott - you are most welcome! Thank you for your comments about my progress. Much appreciated! Your book has helped me.

      No new ideas, only new perspectives. The older I get, the more true that seems. To read a new perspective is a glorious thing!

      Hope things are going well for you!
      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. So glad, Nicky, that you are so active and getting much joy from it! And so happy about the crows. I found your little note about the image very moving. Your friend Jo is with you whenever you see the crows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane,
      Thanks for the message and the kind words. I do feel Jo's presence when the crows make their racket. I remember one time when she put corn out on a hotel balcony in India and the crows came in droves to see her. She got in trouble with the authorities but didn't mind because she had time with the crows she loved.

      Thanks for reading and responding. Your words gave me a reason to remember....

      Delete

Please leave your comment - I appreciate hearing from you!
To leave a comment, click on the word comments at the end of the post when you are on the web page. A new screen will pop up and you will see a box to leave your comment. I know it is confusing but I SO love your comments. If this is too much trouble (and I get that), just reply to the email you receive with the post if you are a subscriber. I will paste in your reply and respond to it. Thank you - I learn from how you respond.