Friday, June 21, 2019

My Challenge of Sensing and Feeling - #90

Join me in contemplating the following sentences:  

"Sense and feel your innate ability without letting conflicting thoughts interfere. When you do this, you are ready to release some of your potential.  Can you see how effort gets in the way of assuming a proper standing position? No matter how much muscular tension we put into trying to stand well, it is immersion in the process of sensing and feeling that helps us to release energy efficiently, not the effort to try harder that brings us close bit by bit to the ideal of standing." The Aware Athlete  

Since May 28th, I've been attending Tai Chi for Balance classes where I practice banishing the conflicting thoughts referenced above. Thoughts that pop up in my head. Notions like: "I can't do this!" or "I will never remember this." In the past when I practiced Tai Chi, these types of thoughts interfered. I don't want that to happen again. 

It's interesting, if some one tells me to try harder, I can easily do that. However, if I'm told to sense and feel, I want to give up. I think: I don't know how! I'm learning that in order to sense and feel, slowing down is required. I need to develop gentle trust in myself.

Please let me know if you have ideas for how to manage conflicting thoughts. Do you ever encounter negativity when you try to learn a new skill or way of being? How do you manage your inner dialogue? Do you have the ability to sense and feel bodily sensations? How did you learn? What do you fear would happen if you slowed down?


Thank you for exploring the mystery - Nicky Mendenhall

CLUE: Open the dictionary in the middle section and pick a word to think about for a day or two. Perhaps say it out loud. It can be a new word or one you love. When I opened my paperback Random House Webster's Dictionary of American English (that I purchased from Half Price Books because I was advised real writers need to have a paperback dictionary on their desks), I found the word horizon. I remember how my Dad sat in his aluminum web folding chair and gazed over the fields towards the horizon. He knew exactly where the sun would set based on the season. He didn't want any darn mountains in his way! I will look for ways to use the word horizon in the next few days. The word has already brought me pleasure. Please let me know what word you choose and what associations you have.

IMAGE: This was the view from my room when I attended a workshop in New Zealand last December. It was beautiful!

6 comments:

  1. Nicola, I like the discovery that trying harder is "easy" to due it's being so habitual. I think it is also easier because trying harder supports ego. Slowing down and noticing is transformative because it gives a chance to become aware of how we are doing what we are doing and what the habits are. It also gives us a chance to see how ego moves us. The deeper work makes life easier but in its own way it is harder than just following habit. I think moving beyond ego is the way to a better more meaningful life. I don't think we will ever be completely free of conflicting thoughts and movement habits but realizing that I love how you stated I need to develop gentle trust in myself - what a key to life. Thanks for sharing that !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Scott. Your words help me integrate what I am learning in analysis.

      I like how you say that going below the surface, the deeper work, makes life easier. But then you give us the flip side - the harder thing to get to the easier way is to catch our habits before we act on them. This is so difficult!

      You saying that the key to life is not to be completely free of conflicting thoughts and movement habits but thanking me for the idea of developing gentle trust in self is much appreciated.

      Delete
  2. Wow, Nicky! Trying harder is so very different than sensing and feeling! The latter is slowing down and taking a step back, becoming vulnerable instead of just bearing down. Thanks for this--and I loved your dictionary experience with "horizon."

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane!
      I love your word vulnerable - especially instead of just bearing down!

      I hope you can open your dictionary! Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  3. My answer: feeling from a state of expanded awareness and interested curiosity.

    I learned this through:
    Inner Relationship Focusing
    Emotional Resolution process

    Sometimes it takes a while to identify exactly what is conflicting with what. But once that is found then the above can be very effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for chiming in Anon. I love your words: expanded awareness and interested curiosity and will contemplate them often as I have written them down on the back of a peach colored envelope to prop up on my desk.

      Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete

Please leave your comment - I appreciate hearing from you!
To leave a comment, click on the word comments at the end of the post when you are on the web page. A new screen will pop up and you will see a box to leave your comment. I know it is confusing but I SO love your comments. If this is too much trouble (and I get that), just reply to the email you receive with the post if you are a subscriber. I will paste in your reply and respond to it. Thank you - I learn from how you respond.