Friday, January 18, 2019

Stepping Out In Belief - #68

I believe if I moved away from IA because of my fear of winter I would be a wuss. Now I'm not saying this is true for everyone but I believe it is true for me.  

I want to get over my fear of ice which is really what I fear about winter. Today I donned my late father's put-over-my-boots-ice-cleats and headed for the certain-to-be-icy analyst's parking lot. 

It wasn't that icy.

But I believe I could have made it to the door if it had been. And according to Scott Forrester in The Aware Athlete, belief and practice are essential for overcoming fear.

Not just any old practice, but practice that is characterized as immersion, which translates, in my case, as going outside on the ice.

I'll plan to do this as soon as I stop coughing and blowing. Promise.
What do you want to practice?

CLUE: My definition of practice is being willing to do something that you don't know how to do (this can be either physical or mental or psychological) and being willing to look or feel foolish as you are practicing it. In my case, practicing on the ice will feel physically, mentally, and psychologically risky as well as inane. Think to yourself which of these areas are the most difficult for you to make change in. What is one small step you believe will help you? For example if you say physical change is most difficult, resolve to do a stretch that you avoid. If you choose mental change, see if you can do the crossword puzzle on Monday. If psychological risk is your choice and it's difficult for you to feel your feelings, pick one you usually avoid, write it down in a secret place, and then watch for it. I'd love to have company practicing so let me know what you decide. Either go to comment section or hit reply to this email.

Thanks for exploring the mystery - Nicky Mendenhall

4 comments:

  1. Nicky! I am a "wuss!" I find cold weather and ice depressing! I have started the New Year "stretching" in many ways and would love to keep you company! One small stretch I've made is not looking at my phone or emails for at least 2 hours after I wake up and for at least an hour before I go to bed. It's really liberating!

    Have a great weekend--and be careful on the ice!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane!
      I love how you used my stretch example - how you enlarged it. I feel honored that you want to keep me company but I'm not sure I can not look at my phone for 2 hours after I wake up. I'm doing better at the hour before bedtime and think that does help. I love how you said "It's really liberating!" I'd like to hear more about how that is but I imagine it would be different for everyone.

      Thanks for you advice to be careful on ice - I will!
      Glad you read and comment - very fun for me!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your email – have signed up to receive your blogs – love??? the challenge in this one. I’ve developed a fear of driving on freeways after getting hopelessly lost on one, not knowing where I was and how to get off with all these cars whizzing around me. As soon as my car gets serviced I intend to practice on a familiar freeway – hopefully I will get confident enough to tackle the expressway where I got lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Nadeya,
      Thanks for signing up! I am happy to know you will be along for the ride and I say that because of your comment about driving. I think it is a great idea to get your car serviced so you know you have a trustworthy partner. And then to start on a familiar freeway before going back to the expressway. I want to point out to anyone who is reading this that you live in Australia! Sounds like the traffic there can be as challenging as here!

      Thanks for the comment. It may help others - I know it has helped me become a little braver. I have fond memories of our time in New Zealand!

      Delete

Please leave your comment - I appreciate hearing from you!
To leave a comment, click on the word comments at the end of the post when you are on the web page. A new screen will pop up and you will see a box to leave your comment. I know it is confusing but I SO love your comments. If this is too much trouble (and I get that), just reply to the email you receive with the post if you are a subscriber. I will paste in your reply and respond to it. Thank you - I learn from how you respond.