Friday, January 4, 2019

Do You Believe Belief Is A Choice? - #66


With assistance from Scott Forrester via Aware Athlete, we have established that imagination, like a muscle, needs training. Here's  another idea of Scott's for us to ponder:

Belief is a choice.

When first encountering the word belief in Scott's book, I remembered my Christian upbringing. Taught to believe in God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost even though we couldn't see them didn't feel like a choice.

Scott cites a research study by Carol Dweck who  discovered, through her research, two distinct mindsets: fixed and growth. People in the fixed mindset believe they are stuck with what they have; people with a growth mindset believe nothing about us is static.

The image above shows part of my meditation altar. What you see  are statues and photos related to Buddhism. My Buddhist teachers tell me that when we gaze upon images or bow to them, we are not being asked to believe anything. We are being asked to honor our own essence and basic goodness.

These Buddhist teachers go on to advise me not to believe what they say, but experiment with their words and teachings to see if they work.

In this way of thinking, belief is the framework on which hang all our thoughts, feelings, and actions. We choose what to think, feel, and do. This seems like a growth mindset. 

I really resonate with the idea that we have a choice about what we believe. Scott writes that Henry Ford is credited with saying if you believe you can do something or if you believe you can't, you are correct.

I'm curious what you believe about your ability to choose your beliefs. Do you feel you have a choice?

CLUE: This being the first post of 2019, I would like to thank you for continuing to read and comment! Your support keeps me writing and at this stage of my life, that is what I believe I want to do so thanks for making it possible. Your job for this week is to find someone in your life to thank for making your life meaningful. Then let me know by going to comment section (I think it's working) or simply hit reply to this email and tell me who you thanked or what you believe about imagination.

Thanks for exploring the mystery - Nicky Mendenhall

 



































8 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Nicky! As for the thankfulness question - I am thankful for Rev. Matt Mardis-Lecroy for helping to make my Advent season the best ever. I'd also like to thank my own attitude for letting that happen! As for belief - I have one until I hear or read something that changes my mind. I asked myself once if and why I believe in God and why I go to church. It took a few years of exploration, but I got it figured out - as of now. Thanks for the question!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you flluteyogi! It is so good to hear from you in this new year. Your thank you's are amazing, especially the awareness you have that it is your own attitude that made your Advent season so meaningful. I'm happy it was!

      Sounds like you made a choice about going to church and believing in God and I applaud that! I'm glad you pointed out that not only Buddhists make choices but Christians do also.

      Thank you for continuing to read and comment - I so appreciate your involvement.

      Delete


  2. I thanked Rachel. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thank my parents for teaching me to question--everything! I was encouraged to adopt a growth mindset and I am deeply grateful for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Diane - sorry it was so much trouble to get through the system. Glad you persisted!

      I would have guessed you have a growth mindset from knowing you as long as I have. Your parents did a great job!

      Delete
  4. Nolan Hiatt
    Mon, Jan 7, 2:56 PM (1 day ago)
    to exploring

    I think we have the ability to choose our beliefs, but I think it is hard to do. The way you were raised and the beliefs of your parents are so ingrained in most people. I remember you saying once that it was hard to relate to a client that had parents that had been in prison. Imagine growing up with parents that were racists or criminals. Would you be the same person?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nolan,
      If you get a chance, read the comment above from Diane about her parents - her words reinforce your point!

      Thanks for the comment - I agree that it can be hard to choose our beliefs.

      Delete

Please leave your comment - I appreciate hearing from you!
To leave a comment, click on the word comments at the end of the post when you are on the web page. A new screen will pop up and you will see a box to leave your comment. I know it is confusing but I SO love your comments. If this is too much trouble (and I get that), just reply to the email you receive with the post if you are a subscriber. I will paste in your reply and respond to it. Thank you - I learn from how you respond.