Friday, December 20, 2019

Do You Love Year End Musings? - #114

I remember 2016 as the year my life lost clarity: diagnosed with NPH*, I closed my psychotherapy practice which meant premature retirement.

I remember 2017 as the year of transition: a recalcitrant patient, submitting to  surgery disguised as a procedure,  I then opened more fully to love from family and friends.

I remember 2018 as a year of healing: retirement enriched by a year of Master Mind, meeting other artists, working with book coach, discovering writing is satisfying.   

I will remember 2019 as a year of writing: completed rough draft of memoir describing my experience in Freudian psychoanalysis and beginning collaboration with Mary Nilsen, editor and publisher at Zion Press.

Typically I resist year end summaries. This year, however, it felt invigorating to see where I've been and the direction I am headed as we move into 2020. My challenge to you - what do you remember about the last few years? Can you name a theme for each year? Please share with me anything you discover. My clarity came from thinking about this and writing. I didn't realize some of this before. Or if you hate the whole idea, let me know that too. I used to resist breaking life into themes fiercely so I will undoubtedly understand.

Thanks for exploring the mystery - Nicky Mendenhall

CLUE for better living: Before you get out of bed in the morning, pull the covers back and stick up your legs/feet and arms/hands and circle them clockwise for a few moments and then counter clockwise. This will wake up you entire body! Try it and see if it jump-starts your day! Ruth, a favorite former Tai Chi teacher initially called this the dead bug but eventually renamed it as the tipped turtle. Thanks Ruth!

*Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus

Image: The Guardian sits shivering with a lap full of snow.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Nicky,

    I like what you said about thinking and writing. There was a time when you told me to sit down and write. It didn't matter where I started...start about the weather, the mood of the day...anything...and see where it takes you. I was always amazed at what came out of my pen. Things I didn't even know were in there! To this day, I still recommend that to people. I tell them to write and see where the pen takes you. You will be amazed and learn so much.

    Also, I do "categorize" life. Not so much categorize, or in a yearly fashion, as realize how many chapters I have in my book of life. The chapter about being raised in an abusive household, the one about being a young mother, the one about being a single mom and struggling to make it. The one about being a single, independent woman, the one about marrying again late in life, and now (and probably my favorite chapter) the one about being a grammy to four of the most hilarious, loving, fabulous people on earth. To me, they are all separate lives that have brought me to this current one.

    Thanks for helping us think about these things, and happy holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie,

      Your message made my day! Thanks for letting me know that something I said helped and that you are passing the idea on. Wonderful!

      The life chapters that you outlined are so descriptive in such few words. I certainly can relate to almost all of them, including being a grandmother to four fabulous people.

      You are most welcome - I love having you think with me about these vital parts of life. Happy holidays to you too.

      Delete
  2. At the risk of becoming political, I have to thank the 2016 election for directing me towards a new path. When the election did not turn out the way I had hoped, I was devastated. My dear friend, who happens to be an intuitive, told me that I had to write. As soon as we hung up the phone, I looked into MFA programs, found Antioch LA low residency program, applied, started in June of 2017 and graduated this past June. It's been a wonderful few years of rebirth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane,
      Thanks for your comment showing us how you made the most of a disappointment. I didn't know this part of your history so am glad you mentioned. What a great lesson for us all!

      Best wishes for continued rebirth and a joyous holiday season!

      Delete
  3. Wishing very happy holidays to two special exercise pals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathi - How very thoughtful of you to think of us today. We are preparing to depart for exercise class where we will miss you so it is good to say hi!
      Have a wonderful couple of weeks and stay in touch! Wendell was happy you wrote!

      Delete
  4. I don't really remember each year, though I can hardly believe it has been 20 years since watching Peter Jennings recap 1999 and the fear of the Y2K bug. I was always amazed at how Dad and Grandpa could remember the crops by year and even then felt like they had some intelligence that I never would be able to match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nolan,
      Your observations are amazing to me. Yes, I remember the Y2K scare. In some ways it feels like longer than 20 years to me and in others, not so long ago. And how Dad and Grandpa remembered crops and weather was remarkable wasn't it?

      Thanks so much for reading and commenting! I'm wondering how your resolution to be more positive about the holidays is going.
      Such a good thought!

      Delete

Please leave your comment - I appreciate hearing from you!
To leave a comment, click on the word comments at the end of the post when you are on the web page. A new screen will pop up and you will see a box to leave your comment. I know it is confusing but I SO love your comments. If this is too much trouble (and I get that), just reply to the email you receive with the post if you are a subscriber. I will paste in your reply and respond to it. Thank you - I learn from how you respond.