Friday, March 29, 2019

There Are No Answers - #78

Reading The Aware Athlete, I found out there are no answers -- --unless there are questions. 

Scott writes that sometimes we don't have the answer because we don't ask. We ignore ourselves, our bodies, our pain.  

He quotes C.S. Lewis: "Pain insists upon being attended to. God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks to our consciences, but shouts in our pains." (If you avoid using the word God as I sometimes do, change it to Life Force or something else that makes sense to you. I'm not sure I understand the Lewis quote - do you?)

I've been ignoring a tooth that produces a sharp nerve-like pain when I chew on the left side of my mouth - SOME times - not every time. Hoping it will go away, I postpone calling the dentist. I'm thinking I may call my sister who used to work in a dental office and ask her what she thinks. Not ready yet to call the dentist's office.  

What do you do when you have physical or mental pain? Do you do different things for one than you do for the other? Do you put off asking for help? Who do you ask for help? Do you like to go to the dentist? Please reply to this email or go to comment section, I think it works now. When you leave a comment, it is sent to me for approval so it won't show up immediately.

CLUE: Clean up one out door space, preferably one that you can see from a window. It doesn't have to be a big thing. I'm going to, after it rains this weekend, clean off the table on the back deck and put the blue striped rug in it's place by the door. These two actions will give me beauty to look at. Does order give you joy?

Thanks for exploring the mystery - Nicky Mendenhall

Image: One of the best gifts I have received is a subscription to the Flower-of-month club. March's selection is particularly lovely so I wanted to share. Thanks to Matt and Marcy!

4 comments:

  1. So interesting, Nicky! I do think we ignore the tough stuff. I also think that's why our pain has to scream--if it doesn't, we don't pay any attention to it! The irony is, though, that once it gets to the screaming level, it's much more difficult to attend to. Better to nip things in the bud, but most of us are very slow to learn that lesson. And, yes, order does give me joy. I think I'm going to tackle the mess on my desk right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Diane. I like the idea of nipping things in the bud and that the screaming level makes it more difficult.

      I also received just now an email from a friend of long standing encouraging me to get to the dentist.

      And yesterday I did call my sister who encouraged me to get over my reluctance to call and call.

      So bright and early Monday morning, I will call my dentist. I appreciate all the support! It helps!

      Delete
  2. Nicola, I think the Lewis quote means that when pain ramps up enough it is hard to ignore it. I have put off going to the dentist a lot but finally I am getting close to no infected teeth in my mouth and I feel a lot better. Good luck at the dentist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott - I like your interpretation of the Lewis quote. It makes sense to me. In Diane's quote above she pointed out how waiting till we can't ignore any longer means when we have to take action, we are probably not in the best frame of mind and things will be more difficult.

      I'm glad that you are feeling better!

      Thanks for the good wishes. I am going to call the dentist on Monday!

      Delete

Please leave your comment - I appreciate hearing from you!
To leave a comment, click on the word comments at the end of the post when you are on the web page. A new screen will pop up and you will see a box to leave your comment. I know it is confusing but I SO love your comments. If this is too much trouble (and I get that), just reply to the email you receive with the post if you are a subscriber. I will paste in your reply and respond to it. Thank you - I learn from how you respond.