Friday, August 17, 2018

Sharing My Surprise Manifesto - #49

I have enrolled in three of Dan Blank's three month Creative Shift Mastermind* groups beginning January of this year. My memory doesn't quite remember being given the assignment to write my own Manifesto in February or May but I'm pretty certain the assignment was given.  But here's the thing: I never even attempted it. 

This time when Dan gave the manifesto assignment I heard,  "all you have to do to create your manifesto is decide what you want to tell others about what is important to you." I realize that is not a very free flowing sentence but something about how he described the process of writing a manifesto this time encouraged me to tackle the task in my journal that very morning. I was surprised!

After I wrote the Manifesto heading in my journal, the words seemed to appear. Again I repeat, I was surprised. I was pleased by how easy it turned out to be once I started writing and when I shared it with a former group member she said that it was so beautiful, she printed it out and wanted to keep it near. I was totally surprised at her reaction!

Another thing I hadn't heard before that may have encouraged me was: "think of what kind of conversation you like to have with others."  If you know my INFJ self, my introverted, quiet self, my twoness on the enneagram self, you know that I am most comfortable talking about intimate, personal, uncomfortable-for-most-people, stuff. I think my Manifesto indicates these tendencies. 

So I decided that my blog readers deserved to read this manifesto because it is the basis for everything I write  Take a look:

I believe (and often protest) that anything deep and meaningful takes time to create and intimately know.

I believe that the causes and conditions we are exposed to throughout our life may foster in us mistaken notions that are not adequate for healthy living.

I believe that we need support to thrive.

I believe that each person has many different inner parts and that each person needs to be acquainted with as many of these parts as possible. I believe that the parts will act up or prevent us from doing what we want to do if we don’t know them and learn how to manage them.

I believe that coming together with another person is a way to learn who you are. This is Freud’s idea of transference: we see parts of ourselves in others and can use this to learn more about who we are.

I believe that being gentle with your developing Self is key to progress.

There are probably no surprises but if there are, I have had recent practice dealing with surprises so let me know. I'd love to hear what you would leave out or add. I would be honored if you would write your own manifesto and share with me. I won't publish it unless you give me permission.

CLUE: Start a conversation sometime this week about a subject that would be on your manifesto, something you ordinarily don't talk about but would like to. Let me know how what happens.

 *Here is contact information for Dan Blank. The new MM will begin October:  http://wegrowmedia.com/mm/
WeGrowMedia - Dan Blank
The Creative Shift Mastermind

Thanks for exploring the mystery - Nicky Mendenhall

This 2010 image was created in Brazil.

6 comments:

  1. I’m not sure what is important to me, or that what I believe is the same thing. I’ve been reading more about how to treat good and bad emotions and think about how to give them equal weight. Hard to remember that nothing is constant.

    Love your insights, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nolan,
      I'm interested in your confusion on whether what is important to you is the same as what you believe in. Could you make a list of what is important to you and see if they have anything to do with your beliefs? If you would like to email me in private and not on this forum, I would be happy to see if we can think about it together.

      It is hard to remember that nothing is constant. There was something about growing up on the farm that made it seem, at least to me, that things would stay the same. I'm not sure why that is or how much affect living on the farm had on us.

      Giving equal weight to all emotions is quite a challenge too. You are thinking about some important issues. As we get older I think it is important that we continue to learn about ourselves and be gentle with our shortcomings and celebrate our success at still being alive!

      Thanks so much for reading and you are most welcome for sharing - it is my priviledge to have a place in your inbox.

      Delete
  2. I once joked that my bucket list is to not have a bucket list. I’m happy just living day to day and have always admired people that are so interested in some particular activity. I know people who are far busier than me that are bored all the time. So maybe that’s not the answer either.

    Any ideas on what should be important?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like shoulds so I don't know for sure how to answer this Nolan. I think I like the idea of not having a bucket list because it might mean that the person has done everything important (there's that word again) to them and don't need a list. Every line of your message makes me want to ask questions and talk to you! I guess being bored when busy means that you aren't doing things you think are important! We've come full circle. Fun to hear your thoughts and questions!

      Delete
  3. Dear Nicky,

    Your manifesto is very much on target. I am sending you just another thought that I still ponder today. I feel this also allows me to learn about different parts of myself though other peoples journey.

    Be Blessed,

    Margie

    I believe that doing nothing is the hardest thing when being supportive. Instead, listen, be present and allow others to discover their voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margie - so good to hear from you! Your I believe statement is right on target - in fact - I have been writing about how hard it is so allow others their own voice without jumping in to agree with them or affirm them or tell them what I am feeling, which in all cases, shifts the focus from the speaker to the listener.

      Thanks so much for reading and commenting. I so appreciate it!

      Delete

Please leave your comment - I appreciate hearing from you!
To leave a comment, click on the word comments at the end of the post when you are on the web page. A new screen will pop up and you will see a box to leave your comment. I know it is confusing but I SO love your comments. If this is too much trouble (and I get that), just reply to the email you receive with the post if you are a subscriber. I will paste in your reply and respond to it. Thank you - I learn from how you respond.