Friday, April 29, 2016

All Good Ideas Don't Work - #224

Treasure was uncovered today while sorting through books and papers: a blank book with high quality paper measuring two and a half inches thick.* It was love at first sight when I spotted it on the sale shelf at the The Art Store in 2010. I purchased it without knowing what purpose it would serve. I just had to have it! So many possibilities!

On January 14, 2011, I made the first entry, after deciding the book would be the perfect place to write special sayings and poems I wanted to save. This turned out to be a harder task than I thought it would be. For one thing the book is awkward and heavy, difficult to hold on to. And where do you put it so it will be handy when you want to write in it? And hand writing the entries, who knew how long it would take to write something out long hand?

As they say, all good ideas don't work. The last entry was made on 10-28-2012. I wish I would have continued. It is great fun to see what I wrote. Here's one entry for you from 12-02-2011:

"Some of us need to discover that we will not begin to live more fully until we have the courage to do and see and taste and experience much less than usual."**

Do all your plans work out as you pictured? I'm trying not to be hard on myself about this, but what am I going to do with this treasure? I doubt I will write in it again. I wish I knew someone who would love it like I have. Should I paste stuff in it? Tear out the pages? WHAT should I do? 

Please let me know how you handle your unfinished projects. What do you say to yourself? And do you think doing less good advice? Email or put in comment section.

Thanks for exploring the mystery - Nicky Mendenhall

*Just for the fun of it, hold your fingers apart 2 1/2 inches and imagine how big and heavy this book is.
**Thomas Merton as quoted in a Monk class.

Image is from a Buddhist Garden in downtown Hong Kong. It was odd to feel deep in Nature and then look up and see skyscrapers surrounding us.

10 comments:

  1. Hi, Nicky, If no one claims your book tear out the pages and give it to Planned Parenthood. I sometimes don't finish books that I buy. If I've read the whole thing I might as well get rid of it, so I don't finish! I think the biggest reason my plans don't work out is that I include other people. They tend to mess up anybody's plans. Luckily, I can go with the flow for the most part. Sometimes I mess up my own plans like getting tickets and then not going. I like your pictures and your questions! Thanks for blogging. Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne - I write voluminously in books I read so I don't know why the idea of tearing out pages makes me cringe! I will think about it and see if I feel differently next week!

      It is lucky that you can go with the flow - I'm better than I used to be but I still like things to go as I plan the best. I could see your grin that other people tend to mess up anybody's plans.

      Thanks for reading and commenting - fun to hear from you!

      Delete
  2. This is very timely. I have a smaller blank book that I recently rediscovered and relocated so I could begin to use it again.I have added to the several sayings, poems, etc., that it contained from previous years. I was tempted to say, “I’ll take it” to your book but I want to see if I complete mine. I would like to see yours when I’m there next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nina - Interestingly enough - I feel reluctant to give the monster to you! Let me know how you do filling yours up! I've tried to do that in the past with varying results.

      Thanks for reading and your support. See you soon!

      Delete
  3. I can't tell you how many blank journals I have. They always make me feel guilty, all that opportunity U did nothing about. But the few I wrote in astonish me when I read them because I never remember writing what is in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good observation - I've had that experience too, not remembering what I wrote - almost as if someone else snuck in and wrote it!

      I guess this should tell us that we are changing all the time, just as the Buddha said.

      Thanks for reading and commenting. Last week you pointed out that the date I used for Shakespeare's death date was an error - I love knowing that I have readers that know stuff like that!

      Delete
  4. I have purchased some lovely books with the same idea, never to touch them. So many possibilities! And of course I want the end result to be perfect. Maybe I should ruin a page deliberately and get that silliness over with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do yearn for perfection don't we? Perfection, we could speculate, would be sterile and boring. Bring on the imperfect is your solution and I think you have a great idea. Makes me want to scribble.....but - you go first and let me know how it works.

      Thanks for reading and above all, commenting!
      ....

      Delete
  5. Unfinished projects? Sometimes the list seems endless. The older I get the easier it is to let go. I don't stress about what I did not finish, and as far as the beautiful book you have Nikki, I'm sure you could pass it on to someone else who would enjoy it, therefore you will let go and not be hampered by the nagging "you didn't finish it ,you bought it you didn't finish it." Set yourself free!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I haven't yet decided what to do but I feel better. Free-er! Thanks for pointing out my guilt at not finishing. That is easier to let go of for me.

      Delete

Please leave your comment - I appreciate hearing from you!
To leave a comment, click on the word comments at the end of the post when you are on the web page. A new screen will pop up and you will see a box to leave your comment. I know it is confusing but I SO love your comments. If this is too much trouble (and I get that), just reply to the email you receive with the post if you are a subscriber. I will paste in your reply and respond to it. Thank you - I learn from how you respond.