Friday, June 13, 2014

I Dare You To Open Your Mouth! - #115

Pema Chodron writes that during meditation, the mouth is to remain slightly open so the air can move easily through both mouth and nose. 

This is contrary to what I was taught at the Des Moines Zen Center. In fact, it is different from anything I have ever read regarding breathing while meditating.

The usual advice - close your lips, let your teeth touch, breathe through the nose.   

One morning, throwing caution to the winds, I relaxed my jaws and slightly opened my lips while sitting on my meditation cushion.  

The result was nothing short of amazing! Concentrating on my breath was much easier. 

(Picture a house, windows thrown open, fresh breezes swirling through.)

Try it! If meditation is not your thing, remember to part your lips the next time you feel stressed or want to relax - it worked for me once. You might want to keep your chap stick handy. 

Let me know what you discover.  Scroll down and click on exploring the mystery to take you to the blog comment section or reply to this email.

NOTE: The picture above is contrary to how hemp shower curtains normally dry. Carl Hiaasen fans may detect a holy personage just waiting to be sold.

Thanks for exploring the mystery - Nicky Mendenhall


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment - I appreciate hearing from you!
To leave a comment, click on the word comments at the end of the post when you are on the web page. A new screen will pop up and you will see a box to leave your comment. I know it is confusing but I SO love your comments. If this is too much trouble (and I get that), just reply to the email you receive with the post if you are a subscriber. I will paste in your reply and respond to it. Thank you - I learn from how you respond.