Friday, February 22, 2019

Strange Bedfellows: Willpower & Passivity - #73

Last week we investigated willpower and how focusing on why we want what we want can help us get what we want. 

What can get in the way of focusing on why we want what we want? 

Passivity. 

Passivity is an offense of omission.  Not focusing on why you want  what you want is passive. 

To have willpower is not passive.

But here's the thing - it's taking willpower to not knock down the icicles you see in the image above. But I feel passive because I'm not knocking them down. Willpower is passive?  

CLUE: Pull a book off your shelf and open at random. Use what you discover to create something. You can create a joke, a pun, a wise saying, or just enjoy reading or rereading a random sentence. I'd love to hear what you create! I pulled John Lee's book, The half-lived life, on overcoming passivity to create this post.

Thanks for exploring the mystery - Nicky Mendenhall






 

2 comments:

  1. interesting take on passivity. I think the biggest danger with passivity is depression. When we do not act, we can start to lose a feeling of aliveness and feel like life is being done "to" us instead of "with" us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane,
      I agree with you on the danger of passivity being depression.

      Willpower gives us the sense of aliveness you mention!

      Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete

Please leave your comment - I appreciate hearing from you!
To leave a comment, click on the word comments at the end of the post when you are on the web page. A new screen will pop up and you will see a box to leave your comment. I know it is confusing but I SO love your comments. If this is too much trouble (and I get that), just reply to the email you receive with the post if you are a subscriber. I will paste in your reply and respond to it. Thank you - I learn from how you respond.