Friday, October 5, 2018

Censoring the Censor - #56

Leaving a Trace: What a great title for an interesting book I  explored for ideas about censors. I was not disappointed in my search for censor managing tips, there were pages of ideas for dealing with the "fat tick" censor we heard about last week. 

Sometimes identifying censors, those inner voices that interfere with our happiness or block creativity, can be difficult. The tick may even call upon a former English teacher's advice to stop you from writing: "I" (no, not I, never use I),..."Well" (Don't use that either! Too casual, I have to impress with big words).  

I can be stumped by rules from the past - whether they be rules of grammar or rules of etiquette. At times I feel that other people know what is proper and I, metaphorically speaking, missed that class.

These days I often Google to clarify the rules I need to know. The answers are not usually as clear cut as I would like, but the lack of clarity helps me not take the censors so seriously.

Do you try and follow rules? Do you always know what the rules are? What do you do if you think there may be a rule but you don't know it? Please reply to this email or go to comments section. It is always so helpful to hear from you!

CLUE: Give yourself permission to rest, especially if you have a rainy afternoon. Put one pillow under your head and shoulders and another under your knees. Rest for five minutes. This position is good for relaxing your body. I'm investigating the Esther Gokhale method. If you want more information on Stretchlying on your back, visit her website: https://gokhalemethod.com/

Thanks for exploring the mystery - Nicky Mendenhall

Image - couldn't resist this photo from my files after hearing today that there will be rain all weekend and into next week.



 

4 comments:

  1. My friend Dave and I always send pictures of lists of rules to each other. It began with watching female mud wrestling in the early 80s. Before a match the emcee would read the rules and the crowd would boo. Rules included: no pulling off clothing and no poking of any holes in the body! It’s surprising how many places you see a list of rules. So that’s what rules calls to mind.

    I nap/rest about 45 minutes most days and usually on my back with my head elevated. I’ve always thought that countries with siestas have the right idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Nolan - I didn't know there was a list of rules for female mud wrestling! I love your observation of which rules the crowd objected to -

      Glad you are resting most days - have you tried putting a pillow under your knees? I think you might like it.

      As always - thank you for reading and your generosity in telling me! So appreciated!

      Delete
  2. Hi Nicky. So ... I've always been a "good girl" and followed the rules, but I'm a wise woman now (or so I like to think) and trust myself more. If the rule feels right, I go with it (which is most of the time), but I have been known to break a few here and there! And ... I LOVE naps--10 minutes is all I need!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane,
      What a good idea - follow the rules if they make sense and do something else if it doesn't!

      I envy you that 10 minutes is enough of a nap! I need at least 20 and often 40 to really feel restored. At least that's what I have thought about myself. Maybe I will try a 10 minute nap and see how it goes. I'll think of you!

      So glad you are reading and commenting here. Much appreciated!

      Delete

Please leave your comment - I appreciate hearing from you!
To leave a comment, click on the word comments at the end of the post when you are on the web page. A new screen will pop up and you will see a box to leave your comment. I know it is confusing but I SO love your comments. If this is too much trouble (and I get that), just reply to the email you receive with the post if you are a subscriber. I will paste in your reply and respond to it. Thank you - I learn from how you respond.