Friday, November 3, 2017

Have You Ever Prayed For Your Big Toe? - #6


Our STEP aerobics instructor Becky brings class to a close with specific instructions: raise your arms above your head, lower them, end with your hands in prayer position.   

No one ever asks what she means by prayer position.

Becky recently broke her big toe. This meant for a couple days she led the class without using a polyethylene step. She performed moves directly on the floor which I thought put her in good company because that's what I do.   

I wonder how Becky would define prayer. I wonder if she's prayed about her big toe? I'm going to ask her when she gets back from two weeks of recovery and her daughter's wedding.

This week my Mindfulness on the Go* card suggests that several times a day I become aware of my posture. Posture and position are related.  I'm experimenting with keeping my body in active plank as much as I can manage.  

My question to you is do you have a prayer posture or position?
Do you know how to do an active plank? Do you pay attention to your posture? If you do, does it help in any way and how do you remember to pay attention? Do you have any more thoughts about prayer?

Thanks for exploring the mystery - Nicky Mendenhall


* Mindfulness on the Go Cards, 52 Simple Meditation Practices You Can Do Anywhere created by Jan Chozen Bays, MD

4 comments:

  1. I’ve thought more about my posture since installing video surveillance cams. After watching myself a few times I try to stand up straight and increase my pace. I include planks in my workout but had to look up active plank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nolan for your comment. We have a couple of full length mirrors and when I see myself sometimes I notice that I am not in active plank and straighten up! I bet the surveillance cameras can wake you up.

      Glad you looked up active plank - I learned it from my personal trainer in conjunction with TRX. Quite a challenge to do consistently. If you add it to your consciousness, let me know. I'd love to know how you do with it.

      Delete
  2. May be is the better connection with myself 'is an awareness of our interior

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty - I think your comment makes a great point that the more aware we are of our interior landscape, the better our connection is with ourselves.

      The more we connect with ourselves, the more our prayer will be an authentic prayer.

      Thank you so much for taking the time to comment.

      Delete

Please leave your comment - I appreciate hearing from you!
To leave a comment, click on the word comments at the end of the post when you are on the web page. A new screen will pop up and you will see a box to leave your comment. I know it is confusing but I SO love your comments. If this is too much trouble (and I get that), just reply to the email you receive with the post if you are a subscriber. I will paste in your reply and respond to it. Thank you - I learn from how you respond.