Friday, October 20, 2017

Attention Is Not (on) Prayer Today -- #3

A few brave souls respond when I ask for feedback on attention and prayer. I'm full of  gratitude for comments.*  

Prayer is routine for Merton but as subject matter for today's post, elusive for me. Instead we'll explore attention. Recently it occurred to me that paying attention to the feeling of breath in my body during meditation was becoming a little easier.  

Dressing for Ai Chi water class last week was therefore quite humbling. When I pulled my new black maillot swimsuit on I wondered why there was so much floppy fabric on my abdomen. What a shock to realize that I was putting it on backwards!

According to the Merton Master of Attention book, the purpose of attention is to see better. Seeing beauty, especially wabi sabi, is important to me. Attention makes lots of things possible.  

You can bet I'm now paying more attention in the locker room. What do you want or need to pay more attention to or see more of? What do you want to see better? Any thoughts on routine prayer?

Thanks for exploring the mystery - Nicky Mendenhall

*To read the comments click on the underlined exploring the mystery  at the bottom of the email you are reading. When you click you will be directed to this post on the blog. Scroll down through post and find the word "comment" at the end. Click on the word comment & you will be directed to the comment section of blog. You will need to scroll up or down to see comments or for that matter, leave a comment. Once you post a comment, don't expect to see it immediately as first it comes to me to be approved and I check email at various times.  




2 comments:

  1. To answer the question of what am I hoping to pay attention to more, I would answer my relationships, which work hand in hand with being more present in the moment. Months ago I came to the realization that I wasso busy planning life and the next steps that I'm forgetting to live and experience the now of life. I'm trying to pay attention more and actively listening, instead of just hearing and passively responding with "yeah, ok" or "mmhmm" I think in an age that so greatly values multi-tasking, it's hard to disengage your planning mind and just be. On the flip side, if you never plan, you'll end up in the dark without any water to shower because you failed to pay your water/power bills :) Oh the balance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What wisdom you give to us. I love how you give an example of how we don't do active listening. "mmhmm" is really passive responding as you noted. Congratulations for figuring out how important relationships are and taking action. This inspires me to pay attention to when I want to passively respond and see if I can be more present to the other.

      I hope you let us know how your balancing planning vs. living goes. It is a challenge for all of us.

      Delete

Please leave your comment - I appreciate hearing from you!
To leave a comment, click on the word comments at the end of the post when you are on the web page. A new screen will pop up and you will see a box to leave your comment. I know it is confusing but I SO love your comments. If this is too much trouble (and I get that), just reply to the email you receive with the post if you are a subscriber. I will paste in your reply and respond to it. Thank you - I learn from how you respond.