Friday, July 25, 2014

Water In Cultural and Religious Rituals - #121

When was the last time you were awed by an art gallery exhibition? 

The answer for me: Edward Burtynsky's WATER exhibit at the Faulconer Gallery, Grinnell College.* His 50 stunning large-scale photographs explore roles that water plays in modern life.

The above photo is one Burtynsky included to show how water plays a key element in cultural and religious rituals. The colorful crowd is undoubtedly Hindu and touches a deep place in my heart. I have never been to Varanasi (also known as Benares), site of this picture, but I have been in India three times and can feel the chaos and excitement of this crowd.  

There were no pictures in this exhibit (that I remember) to show how water is a key element for Christians. Water in the traditional baptism ritual comes to my mind as well as tears of both sorrow and joy.

Water plays a part in this Buddhist story:
A monk said to Chao-chou, "I have just entered the monastery. Please teach me."
Chao-chou said, "Have you eaten your rice gruel?"
The monk said, "Yes, I have."
Chao-chou said, "Wash your bowl."
The monk understood.**

Pay attention to the part water plays in your life this week. Burtynsky suggests that the life-cycle of water is increasingly fragmented. What does this mean to you? Let me know how your awareness of water has changed in the last few year.

Thanks for exploring the mystery of water - Nicky Mendenhall

*Water by Edward Burtyinsky will be at Faulconer Gallery, Grinnell College, until September 28, 2014. I'm plotting for a return visit. 

** Ordinary Mind(2002 & 2005) by Barry Magid.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Nicky, I will try to notice the sacredness of water this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are most welcome. Let me know what you discover as you bathe in this new awareness.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comment - I appreciate hearing from you!
To leave a comment, click on the word comments at the end of the post when you are on the web page. A new screen will pop up and you will see a box to leave your comment. I know it is confusing but I SO love your comments. If this is too much trouble (and I get that), just reply to the email you receive with the post if you are a subscriber. I will paste in your reply and respond to it. Thank you - I learn from how you respond.