Friday, April 4, 2014

Musing on Disappointment - #107

The emergence of this image on my easel engendered disappointment.

My disappointment was acute; painting an accurate likeness of beauty I observe every day has long been a desire.  

Disappointment has always been difficult for me. You could say that sometimes my fear of disappointment, or my fear of disappointing others, has been a barrier to living a full life.

I'm beginning to learn it is more difficult to experience disappointment when my focus is on the process, not the product. The time I spent painting was satisfying, despite the result. But whether that always holds true or not remains a question.

There are more things I want to explore about the mystery of disappointment: Prepare yourselves for a few weeks of disappointment! 

I would love to hear your thoughts about disappointment - I am tempted to say - don't disappoint me - but I don't want to put pressure on you. Here are the some questions to ponder:
   Have you ever decided not to be too hopeful because if something doesn't happen, the disappointment would be worse?
   Did you ever fear disappointing your parents or a boss? 
   Do you ever allow yourself to feel disappointed? 
   Is disappointment an emotion?

Go to blog and comment or send me an email. I will assume you are giving permission to publish unless you tell me otherwise.

Thanks for exploring the mystery - Nicky Mendenhall



2 comments:

  1. Having Mom say, “I’m so disappointed in you” was the worst punishment. In fact, it was the reason I never tried alcohol in high school like some of my friends did.

    Disappointment must be directly related to expectations. Would we be disappointed if we hadn’t expected a certain outcome?

    I guess for me to cope with a disappointment, I look for the good side of it because as Mom also used to say, “Something good comes out of everything.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicky,

    I always thought I was kind of a "low key" person, meaning I don't visibly look excited about events or plans. But one of my supervisors made a special trip to the Iowa State Fair, just because she wanted to know what all my excitement was about. Maybe she was even more "low key" than I am! I also remember a sister saying that she thought I was so calm when we moved from one state to another, without any planning……I thought I was a wreck! I'm not quite sure exactly how this fits with disappointment, but this is what came to my mind.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comment - I appreciate hearing from you!
To leave a comment, click on the word comments at the end of the post when you are on the web page. A new screen will pop up and you will see a box to leave your comment. I know it is confusing but I SO love your comments. If this is too much trouble (and I get that), just reply to the email you receive with the post if you are a subscriber. I will paste in your reply and respond to it. Thank you - I learn from how you respond.