Friday, November 22, 2013

Does Symmetry Kill? - #90


For some reason this morning I began to reminisce about my paternal grandmother's face. With a grimace on my face, I remembered her lopsided mouth. 

I remember not wanting to look at her. 

I loved my grandmother Carrie. She put mustard in Betsy Wetsy's diapers so Betsy's bodily functions would more realistic. Grandma had a never-empty chocolate-chip cookie jar. The youngest in her family, she was fun-loving and had an infectious giggle.

But when her face no longer had symmetry, I didn't like to look at her or even, if the truth be told, interact with her.

Marina Mander (November 17 Opinion piece in the Sunday New York Times) woke up one morning, looked in the mirror, and reported seeing a sinister smile. 

In the emergency room, when the doctor asked how she felt, she replied it felt as if she had swallowed a Francis Bacon painting. The doctor gave her a blank stare. 

Which you may be giving your computer screen right now.

What if we approached differences - especially problematic ones - as challenges to our internal landscape? 

What if we viewed most things through the wabi sabi lens?  

Tune in next week for more information. I hate to close out on you like this but I'm feeling exhausted. This has turned out to be an emotional post to create. I need more time to think. I invite your thoughts on whether symmetry kills.

Thanks for exploring the mystery - Nicky Mendenhall





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment - I appreciate hearing from you!
To leave a comment, click on the word comments at the end of the post when you are on the web page. A new screen will pop up and you will see a box to leave your comment. I know it is confusing but I SO love your comments. If this is too much trouble (and I get that), just reply to the email you receive with the post if you are a subscriber. I will paste in your reply and respond to it. Thank you - I learn from how you respond.