Tuesday, October 15, 2013

What Do You Read In The Bathtub?

My library contains books that won't close tightly because the bottom edge dipped into bath water when I wasn't looking. My new resolution: read only small paperback books while in the tub. My current favorite: Hundreds and Thousands: Journals of an Artist (1966).

Emily Carr's journal describes her love of nature, her life with animals, and her struggle to be taken seriously as a painter. Emily is unabashedly honest about her life and because of her frankness, it is surprisingly difficult to stop reading her daily entries.  

This means my bath water often loses its charm. Now in the living room, snuggled up in my cloak, I listen to the rain on the window as I read an entry dated October 11, 1935. It is too moving not to share: 

"The first dismal rain of winter. Summer hanging between life and death. Everything shivering and dripping like the time between death and the funeral. War news dismal, fires sulky. If one were a bear, now, how jolly it would be to take your fat-prepared body into a hollow tree already selected, ball yourself up with your paws over your face, and sink into a peaceful stupor, absorbing your own fat for sustenance without even the pest of selection, chewing or dish-washing."

Her words comfort, excite, and prepare me for the new season. I hope you enjoy.

Thanks for exploring the mystery - Nicky Mendenhall

2 comments:

  1. Ah, yes, I do! The whimsical reference to baptized bathtub books, the beauty of the descriptions, the lovely seasonal photo… Thank you, Nicky. I enjoy your writing very much.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ruth - "baptized bathtub books" is a great phrase! Wish I would have thought of that!
    Nicky

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comment - I appreciate hearing from you!
To leave a comment, click on the word comments at the end of the post when you are on the web page. A new screen will pop up and you will see a box to leave your comment. I know it is confusing but I SO love your comments. If this is too much trouble (and I get that), just reply to the email you receive with the post if you are a subscriber. I will paste in your reply and respond to it. Thank you - I learn from how you respond.